Sat, Jan 20|
Forest of Flowers
Woodland Volunteering Afternoon
An afternoon outdoors to remove guards from our trees planted in 2016/17, with an opportunity to learn about the woodland and best practices for management.
Time & Location
Jan 20, 2024, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM GMT
Forest of Flowers, Huby, York YO61 1JB, UK
About the event
Join us for a volunteer afternoon to help support the future success of our new woodland. You'll also have the chance to learn about the site, the species planted and best practice for woodland management.
Our 74-acre new woodland was planted with over 42,000 trees back in 2016/17. The trees are thankfully thriving and many of them are now outgrowing their tree guards which were used to protect the saplings in their early stages. We now need to remove and collect these tree tubes to ensure:
- The trees aren't restricted and can continue to flourish
- The used tubes don't hinder or cause damage to other flora or fauna
- The tubes can be recycled
You don't need any former knowledge to take part - all required instruction will be given on the day. You would just need:
- Warm clothes
- Gloves (we have some spares available if required)
- Suitable footwear - the terrain is uneven and often muddy so waterproof boots or wellies are highly recommended
We will also provide some well-earned hot drinks and cake after the session, and we can answer any questions you might have on managing woodland and wildflower meadows.
- There are a limited number of places, so please ensure you register for a ticket before attending.
- This event is not suitable for small children.
- The event will be completely outdoors.
Any questions, please let us know. We hope to see you there!
- Ticket type